Internal credits are given for events within the hospital or clinic such as journal clubs, grand rounds, histopathology meetings, local evening medical meetings, audit, managerial work and dealing with ethical and legal issues.
External credits are given for events outside the hospital or clinic (attending relevant conferences/meetings, workshops, and courses such as international conferences, regional clinical/managerial meetings and clinical/management courses). 25 external credits (20 clinical external credits and 5 non-clinical external credits) are required per year. e-Learning activities are credited with CPD which count toward your external CPD to a maximum of 5 credits per year and any additional CPD gained from e-Learning activities can be recorded as personal CPD.
Personal credits relate to study such as private reading of journals and texts, carrying out information searches, writing articles, preparing lectures, CPD activities online, reflective notes writing (clarifying your thoughts after a specific experience), refereeing papers, researching, making presentations at conferences or to examining postgraduates, writing examination questions, dealing with ethical and legal issues and managerial work. Only 10 personal credits may count per year.
Exemption credits may only be granted by the national society PER YEAR in exceptional circumstances when a physician is unable to meet the yearly minimum requirements due to illness, maternity leave or long absence from work. In such circumstances, these exemption credits claimed must be made up in subsequent years by completing extra credits as they are not counted towards the 5-Year cycle.
Normally medical practice involves internal, external and personal educational activities with both clinical and non-clinical nature and there should be a balance in the learning methods. In any one-year period, a minimum of 25 credits MUST be external credits "20 clinical external credits + 5 non-clinical external credits"; the minimum remaining credits (25), should be "internal credits + personal credits" or "internal credits + personal credits + external credits". Only 10 personal credits may count toward the total yearly minimum credit requirement as stated above.
• 1 CPD credit = one hour spent learning (whether at a meeting, or event, or studying, preparing a lecture, reading a paper or otherwise). Please note that speaking per se does not count as a learning activity.
• If you exceed 250 credits in one 5-Year cycle you cannot carry the extra credits into the next five-year cycle.
• It is important to record each CDP activity at the time when you complete it (ensure that the date is written). Any relevant documentation must be retained for at least 5 years.
• The CPD year runs from 1 January to 31 December. You have until 31 March to email the national society your CPD diary for the year ending the previous December.
• The national society audits a random 5% of all members by 30 June every year to ensure that their CPD diaries are accurate.
This page was last updated in February 2017.